Saturday, November 26, 2011

Christmas Budget is Busted!

I took a day off yesterday because I wanted to get ahead on the Christmas "to do" list.  It started off really well.  I had stay up pretty late the night before so I could get everything that I was sending out wrapped and packaged.  I also took the time and handmade 2 items for my Bloggy Secret Santa.  I was feeling ahead of the game.

I slept in a little but not too much.  I got a few things done and then off I went to the post office with 2 parcels and 2 cards to be mailed.  I had set aside some extra money in my budget for postage but I knew it wouldn't be  enough quite since I was sending one extra parcel.  But I never imagined that it was going to cost me $33.00!  OUCH!

That put me into the money I had set aside to get my winter tires put on and do an oil change.  I did a few more errands and went off to pick up a few items for another parcel that needed to be sent out.  Then I realized... my friend is due to have a baby in a month and I hadn't included it in my budget.  I also had neglected to budget for a gift for her son.  I couldn't send a gift for the baby and not something for her son.  That was the straw that broke the camels back because before that I had overspent on other items I had purchased.

I am a constant over spender when it comes to Christmas.  I always want to pick up one more little thing.  I was determined to keep it in check this year but I failed big time on that one.  So the consequences are that I now have to take about just over $100 from what I was planning on paying credit card.  I so disappointed in myself for over spending and for not planning better.  I hope this is the last Christmas that is so challenging.

How are you doing on your Christmas budget and shopping?

5 comments:

  1. Canada Post is SOO expensive!! I wish we had the same rates as the U.S! :( As for your budget, there are always little last minute items, don't beat yourself up! This is why I'm having a budget free December... lol! Bills are all getting paid, and food on the table, but other than that... It's anyone's guess! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You paid cash for almost everything so I really wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Besides I cant believe how expensive your postage it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I ALWAYS overspend - hope that makes you feel better! So far I'm ok but once my December budget rolls out on Dec. 1st I just know I'll go in the hole. But it's only once a year (doing some rationalization here!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shipping usually gets me... One year, the shipping was more expensive than the gift. That did it! I like Carla's idea of budget-free December, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing okay with my spending - mostly because my budget is $1,000, but I only allocate $725 to specific gifts. Which means, I have a ton of slush money for things that I forget about or go over on. I have a few things left to pick up, but I'm pretty much done!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.