If I hear, "but you deserve to treat yourself", one more time, I think I'm going to tell whoever says it that if I deserve it so much then they should pay for me!
Ok, I'm not serious but it does get frustrating at times. Yes I'm serious about paying off my debt and it's no secret to most everyone that knows me. I say no to lots of things because I really want my debt gone. I don't say no easily all the time. Saying no sometimes comes with a big internal struggle. Having said that I do treat myself from time to time. I've registered for a few races that are important to me, I've set aside a little extra in my entertainment jar for the occasional Starbucks, I reward myself with Subway every now and then. No I haven't really had any big splurges, and I really haven't bought anything that wasn't necessary but to me that just shows my focus and determination.
Some days it's a pretty lonely journey on the road to debt free. I get made fun of sometimes, I get told I should just relax sometimes, I get told debt is just a way of life but I don't allow any of this to discourage me. I am so thankful for my PF blogging family, my family and my friends that are very supportive of me.
What I really feel that I deserve is to live a life free of debt and all the stress and misery that comes along with it. I deserve to have the things in life I can afford to pay for with cash. I deserve to feel the incredible joy that comes from being able to give to others and change their life if even in a small way. I deserve the security of knowing that I have money in the bank to cover emergencies and my future. Those are the things I really deserve and those are the things I really want.
How about you?
Your attitude truly inspires me!! And I think you're right on the money, the ones who are always "rewarding" themselves because "they deserve it" are the ones who take forever to get out of debt, or never really do... You on the other hand are strong, bound & determined!! You will without a doubt reach your goal because you have your eyes on the "prize"!
ReplyDeleteI get the same thing mostly from my family. I just want to get out of debt more than I want a lavish Christmas, or a trip to Hawaii. I want to have money in saving so I don't have to worry when something breaks. I have been trying to save $800.00 for new tires and I cannot get past $400.00. It is starting to snow here. I do not want to use a charge card or my emergency fund. i just don't think some people get it! Let's ignore them.
ReplyDeleteI think being debt free is worth its weight in gold and in peace of mind!
ReplyDeleteI feel your frustration. My dad and brother used to say this to me all the time when I first started down this road.
ReplyDeleteKeep your head up and your eyes on the prize.
Remember...in the story of the Tortise & the hare, the tortise always wins!!!
That's right! I can't agree more, the people that tells you that you need to lax a bit on your spending habits are probably just jealous, that you will some day find freedom while they are stuck in a rut of a situation. Keep on looking forward to that goal. Live like no one else so that someday you can truly live like no one else - Dave Ramsey.
ReplyDeleteAgreed agreed agreed! Let people think whatever they want, but it is an amazing feeling when you don't have to worry about debt or can buy something and really appreciate it thanks to the effort it took to save up for it.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely. I got the same thing, and I still think I have friends who see me as cheap or too hard on myself...but I know that I could cut back even more (I read those people's blogs) and that what I am doing is a choice that I make to better my future. (and my present...I'm happier with less stuff.)
ReplyDeleteDEFINITELY Little Lamb.
ReplyDeleteI could not agree with you more. You've definitely got the right attitude and that day is not far off.
I can understand your feelings towards people with the you deserve it mentality but they are on a different page. You know what is important to you and you are going for it. If treats are important to them so be it.
Don't lose track of your goal. It's going to be awesome.
you're right, it's hard when the people around us dom't share the same enthusiasm for being debt free, and it makes it easier to think 'well I do deserve it!'. I think families have a big impact on how strict a debt repayment and resisting the urge to 'deserve'!
ReplyDelete