Sunday, February 12, 2012

Developing Discipline



Do you find that you are great at disciplining yourself in certain areas and fail miserably in others?  I'm struggling with this so much right now.

If you read yesterdays post you saw that I got my lazy butt out of bed to go running in freezing cold temperatures.  And honestly, it's not that much of a struggle for me to do it.  Perhaps it's because I have a great group of friends that I run with and I really like their company.  Whatever it is, I don't struggle with making myself go very often at all.  And as you can see from my sidebar (or you know if you are a regular reader) I've done fairly well kicking my debt to the curb.  I'm not calling myself a superstar at all and yes I did have my challenges with it but overall it wasn't too hard to say no to myself most of the time.  I focused on what I want and I was ready for the debt to be gone.

Why can't I apply this self-discipline to other areas of my life then?!  I'm so frustrated with myself for this.  There are a number of areas where this applies but I'm specifically thinking of spending time reading/study the Bible and spending quality time in prayer.  I want to do it but I don't.  It's like when Paul (I believe) wrote about being frustrated about doing the things he shouldn't and not doing the things he should.  The other thing is when I do get out my Bible or take time to pray my head goes everywhere else and I can't concentrate!!!

I know all of us struggle with this in some area or another, be it spiritual or not.  I know I'm not alone or else there wouldn't be millions of resolutions broken every year.  

I don't understand how I can feel so on top of somethings and so lacking in others.  Am I too focused in some areas?  I don't feel like running and PF are overtaking my life.  I do feel like I have some balance in my life. Do you feel the same way about some areas of your life?

What has helped you develop a spiritual discipline (or other discipline) in your life?  How can I stop feeling frustrated and start taking action?  I feel like that ING commercial.. the one that says if you want to stop paying chequng fees then stop paying checking fees!  I know it's a simple as doing it but at the same time it's not that simple!!!!

10 comments:

  1. You sound completely normal. Trying to find balance in all areas is your insurance you will have some measure of peace. There are so many things that pull us in different directions these days. It leads to burnout and the inability to focus. Maybe meditate or continue praying. It helps me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry. I am hoping that one the debt is gone I can take that focus and apply it to my spiritual life. Far too often I let unimportant things eat up too much of my time. I need to figure out a way to better use my time. Praying will absolutely help!

      Delete
  2. Yes, well, you mentioned ING and that's funny because I had my payroll deposit transferred to them to get the free $100 but haven't got all of my bills and automatic withdrawals changed over yet so I'm still paying a monthly fee for my TD chequing account and tsf my pay over to the TD once its depositing to ING so really am I any further ahead - NO!! I keep saying I'll get it done but I never do. It's so annoying!
    I just find that I have more things I want to do than there are hours in the day to do them. So I try to do a little of everything which means not a lot gets done in any one area. But like Jerry said it's completely normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing with ING except I made the quick phone calls right away and dropped my TD down to the lowest monthly fee (can't change where the car payment comes from, long story). It's much easy to have it all come from the one account!

      I need to prioritize better and then I will feel better. At least I'm normal!

      Delete
  3. This is so me with how I am with eating! My BF has even brought up the comparison when I talk about struggling with it. I can be SO disciplined, but I lack self-control. It's a small distinction, but it describes me well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am struggling spiritually at the moment and haven't been to church since last August. I guess we all struggle one way or another at times and we have to have the right mind set to get through these times.

    Good luck with your struggles and you will win.....

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off I gave you a blog award, check out my post from today (Sunday). I am afraid to tell you but you just might be normal!!!! I have a hard time with bible study as well, I find I do so much better reading a great spiritual book, quotes and such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you need to follow the Nike slogan: Just do it.

    I rarely feel like running, but I force myself to do it, and to this day, there's never been a single run I've finished where I've gone, "man I wish I hadn't done that!" because I always feel AWESOME after I run.

    Maybe you need a support group for the spiritual stuff too. i know Eric and I have a small group that really helps with the spiritual aspect of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every one struggles with some areas in their life! You are doing great. Scripture study can be a drag at times. I teach an hour long lesson one Sunday a month so I have to jeep up or look like a fool. But I am so good at looking like a fool it does not matter any more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I struggle with discipline myself right now too but it's more to find time/desire to exercise and not to eat all the delicious stuff my parents brought with them or bought while they were here. As for Scripture study, I found a trick that works for me for now. I listen to them on CDs when I'm in a car, or when I'm just making dinner. It's not perfect but it's better than what I had before which is hardly ever. Now I try to do it every day and concentrate on what I'm listening while my hands are busy. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.