Friday, February 24, 2012
Gas Prices in North America and Australia
I was curious how much gas was selling for in other places and decided to do some research. Here's what I found using Gasbuddy.com for North America and FuelWatch for Australia.
Conversion is 1 US gallon = 3.785 litre or 1 litre = 0.264 US gallon
Current Exchange Rates are as follows according to XE.
1 USD = 0.998 CAD (reverse 1.002)
1 AUD = 1.071 CAD (reverse 0.934)
1 USD = 0.932 AUD (reverse 1.073)
USA - A few random spots
Portland, OR
Low - $3.63/g = $0.96/l
High - $4.09/g = $1.08/l
Philadelphia, PA
Low - $3.49/g = $0.92/l
High - $3.99/g = $1.05/l
Santa Barbara, CA
Low - $4.03/g = $1.06/l
High - $4.69/g = $1.24/l
Tampa, FL
Low = $3.54/g = $0.94/l
High = $3.89/g = $1.03/l
High amount converted to CAD - $1.24/l
High amount converted to AUD - $1.33/l
CANADA - A few random spots
Halifax, NS
Low $1.35/l = $5.11/g
High $1.365/l = $ 5.17/g
Toronto, ON
Low $1.247/l = $4.72/g
High $1.329/l = $5.03/g
Saskatoon, SK
Low $1.149/l = $4.35/g
High $1.23/l = $4.66/g
Vancouver, BC
Low $1.259/l = $4.77/g
High $1.49/l = $5.64/g
High amount converted to USD - $5.65/g
High amount converted to AUD - $1.39/l
AUSTRALIA - NSW
Low $1.379/l = $5.11/g
High $1.564/l = $5.92/g
High amount converted to CAD - $1.68/l
High amount converted to USD - $6.35/g
Interesting? What do you think?
Gas here went from $116.6/l to $129.6/l in one big jump. That's what inspired this post. I'm a little surprised at how much cheaper it is in the US and at how much more expensive it is in Australia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No telling how high it will go. We are up to $3.76 a gallon now, no end in sight
ReplyDeleteIMO, I think most other countries in the world would love to have gas prices around $4.00/gallon (or whatever that translates into in other currencies). We live in a car-oriented culture here in the US, and have come to think of cheap oil and gasoline as some sort of birthright. Yes, we have huge distances here in the States, but so does Australia. Higher prices here have gotten Americans to start thinking more about conserving, a good thing I think.
ReplyDeleteWe were in Japan last year, and they were paying the equivalent of nearly $8 per gallon. It had nothing to do with the earthquake and tusnami either; prices had always been that high. But it's a small country, and they have a fantastic public transportation infrastructure in place, so you can get around quite nicely for the most part without ever having to drive.
Ours went up today. Not a happy camper.
ReplyDeleteOur gas is $3.10 right now but our prices are on of the best in the country. But a couple years ago gas was more than $4 here. I hope it will never go back to it!
ReplyDeleteI'm just glad I don't have to budget in gas money!! ouch!!
ReplyDeleteI live in oil rich/gas producing Alberta and we're paying about .95 cents a litre right now. Highest we've ever paid was 1.20ish about 4 years ago when everything was so high, including real estate and utilities. Things have stablized now, so prices are decent and affordable. Keeping our fingers crossed we remain in this place so we can all get ahead.
ReplyDeleteIn philly I paid 3.69 a gallon today which is why I am still thinking about trading the car in.
ReplyDeleteI am in Halifax where it is $1.365. I think our highest price ever was $1.44 after Hurricane Katrina. I was amazed when I visited the UK - at the time, gas was $1.15 Cdn and it was 1.15 in UK pounds. (Actually this was true of most things, e.g. lunch out $10 or 10 pounds.)
ReplyDeleteI am in Connecticut (about 90 min north of New York City), and we are at 3.85/gal. We have some of the highest gas in the country. I guess compared to you, we have it easy.
ReplyDeleteIn total, we spend about $500-$600 a month on gas for the car, and then another $350 in heating oil. So we are closing in on $1000 a MONTH just for this. UGH.
Just for comparison....what is the average cost of milk down under?
I spend $55 a week on petrol(gas) to travel to work and back. Dh petrol costs $20 a week.Today I paid $1.43 a litre which is pretty average. It's not something we can change and we have to have it to go to work so theres no point stresing about it.
ReplyDeleteMysti, we've had a bit of price war on milk downunder with Coles cutting prices to $1 a litre. I can buy generic milk in other shops for about $1 a litre, or non generic milk milks are more expensive - I pay about $2.40 for 2 litres low fat milk at my corner store.
ReplyDeleteWhere I am the gas is about average for the US. I've really tried to cut back on our driving and I fill up about once every three weeks. I would probably cry if I had a job I had to drive to every day.
ReplyDeleteMysti- I live live in PA and milk is ridiculously expensive because of state regulation it's almost $4 a gallon. Luckily, the grocery store I like is in NY (we only live about 15 miles from the border) and it is $1.99 up there.
Gas in ND in the States is about $3.50 per gallon. I'm aware that it is cheaper here than in many places around the world. I'm not commuting as far as I was a year ago so the increase in gas prices hasn't affected me as much as it would have then.
ReplyDeleteOver here in the Netherlands (Europe) the price for gas has risen (due to tensions in Iran)to 1,79 EURO/liter. If i'm correct this is US$ 9,00/gallon. Though we drive smaller, more fuelefficient cars and have shorter commutes, it hurts.
ReplyDeleteLike everywhere else, the gas prices go up daily :( I wish it would stop. But, I drive less now since I am not working.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, the gas prices haven't gotten to me yet and I haven't even been paying attention to the local price. All I know is that is has been fluctuating a lot recently. I'll have to pay close attention in March and April to see how it affects me and then form my opinions on it.
ReplyDelete