Wow, what a weekend! As I was telling you the other day my brother was heading for an overseas deployment this weekend. He flew into Canada's busiest airport on Sunday and proceeded to lose his wallet! (This isn't like him at all!) Now this isn't just like any other losing your wallet, which is horrible on a good day. This was a "I have no ID and am leaving for another country across the world in few hours and I am thousand of km's from home" kind of lose your wallet. With out proper ID he can't board the aircraft! We have literally hours to replace the cash, bank cards, ID and everything if we don't find the wallet. UGH!
Lost and Found at the airport is only open from 8am - 8pm, because of course, people only lose items between these hours, right?! I live 2 hrs from the airport. We called who we could and go no answers. The best we could do was hope that at 8am we call and get good news. But of course, it doesn't work that way, ever. I started calling at 8am trying to find a kind soul to help me locate my brother's missing wallet. No answer, no answer, answering machine.... Leave a message and we will return your call within 24hrs. WHAT?!?!?!?! I don't have 24hrs!! Someone answer the freaking phone!!! I leave a message, call my brother with the bad news (he was at the hotel) and tell him I'm on my way to pick him up so we can start replacing the missing items. But I never accept the first answer I'm given if there are other options.
I called the number I had originally gotten the lost and found number from and explain the panic situtation we are in and ask if she can help.
- No I'm sorry that's the number for lost and found. blah, blah, blah
- UGH! Are you sure there isn't another number I can call and speak to someone who can help me?
- We'll ma'am there are lots of department in the airport, who do you want to speak to?
- Umm, someone who can help me find out if the wallet was turned in? What are my options?
- Well there are many companies and departments....blah, blah, blah
- Ok obviously you don't want to help me, thank you.... CLICK!
I normally would never hang up on someone but I didn't have time for the foolishness I felt this lady was handing out. If I were in her shoes I would have offered to personally go to Lost and Found and ask. We are talking about a Military Member heading overseas to serve your Country!!! Show some respect!
I headed over to pick up my brother since I told him I would be right there. At a stop light I grab my smartphone and start to pull up the webpage for the airport. There has to be another number! Arrive at location, resume web search and find a customer service number. Hopeful, I call. Another answering service! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! I scan through the list of number again. Ok there's the one for lost and found, already tried that.. oh wait that doesn't look like the number I tried. Hmm, look through my phone, no this number is different. Ok really hopeful this time, it's the last number I can find. My brother gets in the car as I am waiting for someone to answer.
- Lost and Found, can I help you?
(In my head - Thank you, Lord!)
- Oh yes, my name is Little Lamb and I am wondering if you have a black wallet with ID in it with the name Little Lamb's brother on it?
- When was it lost - (and a few other questions)
- Yesterday, blah, blah, blah
- Yes, I have it right here!
- Oh my, you have it?! Oh thank you so much! (We needed to know if X,Y,and Z are in it because if anything is missing we still needed time to replace it plus drive the 2 hrs there and 2 hrs back)
Can I tell you this was an answer to prayer, no doubt at all! God is good! Everything was in his wallet. All his ID and cards along with over $300.00 cash.
THERE ARE STILL GOOD, HONEST, DECENT PEOPLE LEFT!!! In an airport that pushes thousands of people through in a day, we held little hope of good news. There was no name or anything but I tell you if there was, this person deserves something special. They will never know the extent of thier kindness. There is no way they could know that this wallet belonged to someone who was hours away from boarding a plane and travelling thousands of km's from his family to serve and protect this country for months. To you dear stranger, we are eternally grateful! Thank you for doing the right thing.
We drove the 4 hours to the airport and back and I got to spend some quality time with my brother just talking and laughing. It was wonderful! And then later I watched as he went through security at the military airport on to his next adventure (with wallet safely buttoned in his front pocket!). Have a safe tour, my brother. I love you!
I hope if ever faced with this situtation you would all do the right thing too. You have no idea the impact it could have.
judy said...
ReplyDeleteThere are truly some good people left in this world.
I hope your brother stays safe and well
Jud
I seem to be having some issues with Blogger today......
ReplyDeletewow! that is amazing!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank goodness that he was able to get his ID back in time. and the money was still in his wallet. :)
ReplyDeleteWell praise the Lord, that could have ended differently. Yes there are good people left in this world.
ReplyDeleteGod had His hand in this, I am sure. He knew who to let find that wallet! It restores your faith in mankind, doesn't it! Sending prayers for your brother's safety.
ReplyDeleteSarah
Godspeed to your brother on his tour overseas. I am happy to know that there are still good people, even in the hustle and bustle of the busiest airport in Canada.
ReplyDeleteSending lots of good will and karma to your brother and the person who found said brother's wallet!! :)
ReplyDeleteI once found an envelope full of cash (probably close to $500) that a restaurant patron left behind during my dinner shift. Luckily he was a regular so it was easy to return the money to him. Even though I was in debt and could desperately use that money, I didn't think for one second to keep it. Do unto others, right? Your story is proof :)
That is so good to hear. In a day and age when all we hear is sh** happening to people, then this is a real feel good story. Nice to hear X
ReplyDeleteI'm an optimist, but truly believe that "most" people will do the right thing when placed in this situation. I've fou d many items over my lifetime & have always returned them to grateful owners. Most have offered me a reward which I think is nonsense, as honesty really IS the best reward!! God bless your brave brother on his tour!!
ReplyDeleteOh, that's wonderful news! I'm so glad it worked out that way :) I hope his tour goes well. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteSo glad that it all worked out. Leaving on duty is stressful enough as it is. I think there are lots of good people out there but sometimes we only hear about the bad.
ReplyDeleteWhat a stressful day that was!! I felt so helpless being so far away,and that I could not help him. Thank you again Rachel for being there for him.So nice to know that there are still honest and decent people out there.I so wish I get a hold of he or she and let them know how much they changed our day.God Bless them and God Bless George!
ReplyDeleteThat is fantastic news. I am so glad that it ended well, I'm sure your brother was too. I couldn't imagine the mess this could have caused.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to your brother, I'll be thinking of him. And thank you to him1
Stuff like this always gives me hope for the world. Sometimes so much bad things happen that you begin to wonder.
ReplyDeleteTo know they are still good people brightens my day. I am happy to read that not only it worked out but you got to spend some time with your brother.
That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it, it made my day!
ReplyDelete