Saturday, January 14, 2012

It Pays to Know Your Prices



I have a drippy, runny nose along with sneezing and I'm feeling kind of miserable!  I went out to a local store to buy some tissues.  I was only going to pick up a box or two because I didn't feel the need to stock pile.  Well I found that for the prices of the tissue that doesn't leave you feeling like you used sandpaper it was much cheaper to buy in bulk.  So I grab a pack of 9 boxes of tissues that said it was $7.98.  I picked up a few other things and headed to the check out.  When she scanned the tissues the price came up as $10.96.  I thought maybe they had been on the wrong place on the shelf and they probably were $10.96 but it figured it didn't hurt to ask.  The cashier said she would call for a price check.

 It was very busy in the store and my cashier was more concerned that her shift was ending in a few minutes then getting me the correct price.  I told her I would pay and wait until someone check the price and if it was cheaper they could just give me a refund.  So I paid and waited.  No one called or came to do a price check.  A supervisor was walking by so she asked her about it since she was anxious to get me out of her way.  The supervisor took my paid for pack of tissue and ran off.  Then she passed it along to someone else.  I asked the cashier what she was doing since I had already paid and just wanted the price checked.  The cashier was pretty frustrated at this point and yelled to the supervisor and then went over to get my tissues back.  Well then they left me standing there with no one willing to do a price check.  I was in a bit of a hurry since I was heading over to babysit for a friend.  I just took my stuff and told her I would go and check the price myself and find a manager to take care of this.


The price in fact was $7.98 and I took the tag and headed to customer service because the store I was at abides by the Scanning Code of Practice (this is for Canada, I'm not sure about other countries) and I knew that the tissues would be free.  The SCOP states that if a item valued under $10 scans up at the wrong price the customer is entitled to that item for free.  If you are purchasing more than 1 of that item you are entitled to one of them for free and the others at the correct price.  If the item is more than $10 you are entitled to $10 off the item. 
So I got 9 boxes of tissues for free today!!!  I paid $12.39 and that was refunded.  The total cost would have been $9.02 if they had of scanned correctly.  Score for the budget!  I think I might put that $10.00 towards my LOC since I was willing to pay it out anyway.

12 comments:

  1. I had the same thing happen to me at a grocery store (in your town!) last week. The big box of breadcrumbs I had purchased rang up incorrectly, so I got them free!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love FREE! You're in Brighton right, Christy? I think we should go pay Gail a visit. What do you think? LOL j/k

      Delete
  2. Yes I am! Well I have run into her at the grocery store before ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! I always pay attention to prices too! Glad you got it sorted out in the end! Was worth it I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got the sale price. I always make sure things are ringing up correctly and it drives my family insane..oh well.

    Free tissues are a good thing

    ReplyDelete
  5. what store did you go too! I had no idea about this until you mentioned it!!! How do you find out which places take part in this program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah. I was at Walmart. You can find all the rules as well as a list of stores that follow at the link below. Stores must have it posted somewhere in the store...(specifically: Retailers will display the sign attached hereto as Attachment 1 at all store entrances or in a conspicuous location near the store entrances. Retailers will display the sign attached hereto as Attachment 2 at each checkout station within their stores.)

      The only big name one that I know doesn't abide by it is Zellers. Of course, the store where the most things scan incorrectly! LOL

      http://www.retailcouncil.org/advocacy/national/issues/cp/scanner_accuracy02_eng.asp

      Delete
  6. It's so frustrating for the customer when the store doesn't make it easy to get a correct price (or use SCOP). Most of us just want the advertised price and if we happen to get something for free we consider it a blessing. It generally doesn't take much to keep customers happy. Unfortunately sometimes the people who are the "face" of the store do a bad job representing it and then sometimes the store just isn't up to par. Thanks for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this happen to me and I don't want it free I just want the right price. But oh well score. You are sick and standing there miserable, but at least it was a $10.00 miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew that, wow, thanks for the tip! And what a great score, you'll have tissue for weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every penny counts!! Congrats, but it is so frustrating. Feel better soon, hope you won't need too many more of those tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippie for free tissues! You've shared a great consumer tip - it definitely pays to pay attention at the till. Hope you're over that cold before too long.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.