Oh man! This has been a crazy few days and my bank card which only leaves the house 2 days a month is probably still hot from all the swiping I've been doing. Here's the break down:
- Took the dog to the vet for her annual check up. I had saved $200.00 for this and thought I was good to go. Well when I went to pay the grand total was just under $316.00. Ouch! (OVER $116)
- Purchased air conditioner to put in the living room as discussed in previous post. I actually found one for $88 plus taxes. While purchasing this I picked up a few grocery items as well. Total cost was $107.00. I had saved my $100.00 HST cheque for this. Also was out of bunny food earlier than expected at $18 a bag. (OVER $25)
- I needed a few items from the vet for one of my bunnies. I had them ship it last time (from Toronto) and it ended up costing almost $40 for shipping! I can drive there for cheaper than that. So I took a trip there and the break down on that was gas $50 (to fill the car but didn't use it all), misc medical items $15 and vet items $52. Total cost was $117. I also got to visit with my brother and his family so that was great. Eating out cost $8 (OVER $125).
Total over spending $266.00. Sigh
Well the good thing about this is that the purchased items were needed and I was able to pay cash for each and every one of them. No credit card!!! So my efund (even though not truly an emergency) was used. I will recover the money, some from the budgeted money for the animals and some from what I would have to put towards my debt snowball at the end of the month. No biggie. I'm not going to stress about it. I'll eventually get ahead with the budget so this doesn't happen anymore.
I need to figure out what I can recover this coming pay and then I will update my ticker to reflect the current amount in my efund.
Animals are expensive and you need to take care of them. Bunnies when well cared for can live to be 18-20 years old. You did what you had to and had saved for this so no harm. If one of your bunnies got sick you would have a vet bill you would just pay it. I love how much you care for your animals. I am an animal softy also.
ReplyDeleteI don't think there's any need to feel guilty for any of those overages, but it's great that you're analyzing them. Imagine if you didn't save ANYTHING for them... so being prepared at all was a start.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, an e-fund is for ANY unexpected mandatory expense... not just something tragic. And as long as you replace the funds, no harm done at all.
But it's great that you hold yourself accountable!
You are totally in control here so there is nothing more I can say that great going.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't seem like frivolous spending, so that is a plus. Sometimes overspending happens, it sucks, but it's not like you are back sliding and went to the mall. You are doing a good job, keep it up!
ReplyDeleteThat seems really expensive for the vet for your dog. Can you post a picture of your bunnies? I would love to see them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Niki. It wasn't frivolous spending.
Thanks for your encouragement everyone. I think I will be able to replace all the money I used plus a bit more on payday. I also will be trying a new thing in July and boosting my animal budget by $100 a month. Once I have a certain amount (undetermined yet) set aside I will use that money for debt repayment and replace it as required.
ReplyDeleteA budgeting is a work in progress!
Forgot to say that also included in the vet bill for Bella was her revolution (heart worm meds for the year). They were $130 alone.
ReplyDelete