(I am not being paid to advertise for any products mentioned here. Just my experiences/opinions)
I decided to try Mint for my budgeting. I typically just use an excel spreadsheet that I created and keep revamping from time to time. It's very basic and suits my needs just fine.
However, recently, I had been looking at a number of budgeting tools and did the trial of You Need A Budget. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the price they were asking. In fact, I really didn't want to pay any price at all. I know, sounds cheap, but even with a 7 day trial period I didn't think I could really tell if I liked it and would use it. I also tried a few others but didn't really like any of them. Some I found overly complicated, some were not able to be tailored to how I wanted to use them.
Mint.com is free. I like free! I also like that it has an iPhone app so that I can check remaining amounts in each of my budget categories. I have been using the jars for quite sometime but with my recent switch to ING Thrive chequing I would like to see how I do with using my debit card. I'm not 100% sure I can be trusted to not make impulse purchases. I decided to give it a one pay trial period and see how I do. If I make impulse purchases I go back to the jars.
The things that concern me are the little things. Normally if I go for coffee with a friend I take what the coffee will cost. With a debit card if I get a craving for a piece of lemon cake while ordering I have money to order it. Will I be able to say no? Or if I go over a little on the groceries I pick up will I put something back? I think I will be good but I'm a little worried if I can be trusted. So I'll give it a shot and see how it works out.
On to the wedding gift. I had asked you all for some ideas on a great gift to get my friend. babybluewater at Head Over Heels... In Debt! said how much she loves Shutterfly and suggest perhaps a photo book or canvas print which would suit my friend fabulously! There were also other great suggestions and another one I really liked was from Makky's Mom at Milestones. I got a $115 coupon for Photobook America (hope they are good). I'm so excited because I think that they will really like it and its something I am happy to give as a gift.
How do you do your budget? Excel? Good old pen and paper? Or a fancy program? Have you tried Mint or any other programs?
Great deal on the wedding gift! I think those kinds of gifts are the best because it shows you put some thought into it. I'll bet they love it!
ReplyDeleteI'm a pen and paper budgeter. Like you, I can't bring myself to pay for something and even though I like using the computer, I like being able to put it on paper just the way I want even better. I think I'll look at Mint, though, just for fun :)
Sarah
Believe it or not one of my college degrees is in software but I do pen and paper! I am a huge main frame programmer from the 80's so I have never slowed down long enough to learn all the new programs.
ReplyDeleteExcel and pen and paper.
ReplyDeleteGreat deal on the gift.
I LIVE on my Excel spreadsheet. That being said, I'm a musician, and I like that my computer will do the math for me. :) (I am checking out Mint right now!)
ReplyDeleteGREAT call on the photobook. I hope it works out well!
Excel for me. I really suck at the paper and pencil thing, and excel can do all the math much faster than I can. I tried Mint, but I got paranoid about the security and deleted my account.
ReplyDeletePhoto books are fantastic gifts - i've given a few before and everyone seems to love them.
The wedding gift sounds perfect! :) Great deal too!!
ReplyDeleteI'm all about pen & paper! I have a new "Moms family Planner" that starts on July.1st! So I'll have a crisp new planner to budget in! :)