Wednesday, May 25, 2011

This, that and the other....

I must start by saying, I love my new life!  I've been doing the "budget" thing for a number of years now but it hadn't clicked and didn't "work".  But now, I have money in the bank!  And I have NO desire to spend it.  In fact, other than groceries and such, I haven't spent money on anything since I started.  I do budget some for entertainment so its not like I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs.  When there is something I need to spend money on I am much more cautious.

I am still working on building my emergency fund to the goal amount of $2000.00.  But I am making progress.  In fact, this weekend is the next yard sale.  I have picked up a bunch of stuff that my friend gave me to sell.  I would love to make $300 this weekend.  Not sure if that's even possible but I am hoping to have little to nothing left over.  Stuff will go cheap at the very least.

I'm not really having trouble staying on my budget.  With the jars, its great.  If there is money in it, I can use it.  If its empty, I have to wait until the next payday.  It does require me to be conscious when spending but it doesn't feel restricting either.  It's working for me.

I have been very fortunate as well.  I have been given a bunch of second hand clothes and really don't need to purchase anything.  I can probably get by without spending money on clothes until my debt is paid off.  I will certainly try.  I'm not a big clothes person anyway.  I have minimal shoes and spend the most on replacing my runners and I try to stretch them out for as long as possible.  But that can cause some painful injuries so I have to be reasonable about spending money there.  I am using up all the health and beauty products I have stored up.  I won't need to buy soap or body wash for at least a year!

This past weekend was a long weekend and I had a really good weekend.  I spent little to no money too!  I mowed, went running, rollerblading and went for a nice long road bike ride.  Hmm well the road bike ride was eventful.  I actually did a flip over the handle bars and got injured but nothing severe.  Thankfully!  I have a few bruises, an injured shoulder and a bit of whiplash.  Could of been much, much worse.  And yes, I was wearing a helmet.  I had been trying to sell my bike but I really enjoy being able to go biking with the gang.  I think I will keep it (also thankfully the bike wasn't damaged).

Well I think thats enough rambling for now.  I'll post after the yard sale and update my ticker!

6 comments:

  1. glad you didn't get hurt too badly with your bike crash! Good luck at your yard sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run with my daughter, when she will let me. I am slower than her! I have to remind her that I had her when I was thirty and she is now almost 24. Anyway we run a 5 mile loop called the bridges. It spans two major bridges in our area. I have never fallen before running but my toe hit a riser on one of the bridges and I went down. Now I knew I was going down and my brain said you will stop when you get to your knees, I didn't. Then it said you will stop when you hit your hands, I didn't. So I rolled to keep from smacking my face on the concrete as I knew I would break my teeth. I continued to move forward sliding into a cement barrier on the bridge with the side of my neck. I could not believe how far I slid. Anyway my daughter thinks I have had a stroke! This is a busy two way bridge and people are stopping. She is hollering Mom! Mom! I just rolled over on my back and groaned I am okay. Now she says through clenched teeth. Get UP! GET UP! She realizes I am not dead and wants me to move as she is embarrassed. I get up and start to slowly run. We have 2.5 miles to get back to the car. I have blown out the knees of my running pants. Blood in creeping down my shins. Anyway I had scabs all over my hands (and I had gloves on) I still have a scar on one knee and a I had a huge bruise on my shoulder. But we have laughed more over that story. How she went instantly from , Oh no she has finally croaked, to GET UP! I love to run Slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a head over handle bars crash. Yes, very thankfully, you are okay.

    I am so glad that your budget is working for you and that you don't fell stifled by it either. You sound so enthusiastic and I think that help so much too.

    Hope you do well at the yard sale. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear that your are Ok! A budget is a life saver in our household I don't know how we managed to get by without one in the past. I hope you make tons of cash this weekend on your yard sale!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Falls come with bike rides. Glad you are ok and that you still want to ride. It's good fun and exercise.

    Good luck with the yard sale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the yard sale! Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope all is well and you do great :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.