Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I'm not the Grinch but I am feeling quite Bah,humbug

Christmas this year is unlike any I think I have been through before.  I'm having a tough time.  I'm really missing Gideon.  But it's more than that too.  I'm so tired of the commercialization of Christmas.  It doesn't feel special anymore.

I admit I have not one decoration out besides hanging the few cards I have received.  I'm not sure that halfheartedly putting up a Christmas tree would change my feelings anyway. 

I have decided that 2012 will be the year I give gifts at random times throughout the year because I love people and want to give.  I don't want to give into the commercial hoopla that has been made of Christmas.  Don't get me wrong, despite what I've said, I love Christmas but it's not what I remember anymore.  Every year gets worse and worse. 

Is it just me?


12 comments:

  1. not just you at all! I am with you! I have drastically cut our giving by half (not purchasing for 50% of my list) ironically, that 50% was relieved as well! imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went on a trip as a family last year and it was so fun. No presents, etc. This year we are spending 66% less on Christmas. I just wrote checks for most of the kids and am getting some gift cards. We are focusing on spending time together doing activities. It isn't all about the presents. We asked our kids to do something nice for someone else and write about it and send it to us for our Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We cut our Christmas back alot this year also, even the decorations. Even Christmas eve and Christmas day will be calm around here, with only the family who lives in my house.

    I think so many retailers are preying on the fact that people are struggling and trying to get them to charge more and more and more. Not gonna happen here

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((LittleLamb)) Sometimes its hard this time of year, I think as long as we focus on the REAL reason for the season, abd keep that in our hearts, the rest will fall into place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, noy just you. The putting up the tree and decorations does not have to be a form of comforming to the comercialization of the holiday. If you're putting it because it is a tradition or something you want to do, that's enough to break off from that. I feel exactly like you about Christmas; I love it, but I havent liked/enjoyed it for the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year our Christmas is cut back too. What I am looking forward to the most is the Christmas eve family church service. I think that by making your own traditions and doing things that are meaningful to YOU it can still be very special. I do agree that the commercial hoopla is getting crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree, I hate the commercialism of Christmas. I am also trying to cut back, but it is a slow process. I just feel like too much is expected of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *hug* I really wish there was something I could do to help with the pain of losing Gideon :( Please give all of your furry kids an extra hug for me.

    I love your idea of giving gifts throughout the year. I think it's a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our christmas is going to involve 'more' spending that in in previous years, but it's mostly so that we can travel to see family. We figure THAT is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. no, it's not just you. I've got my little tree sitting on the bench and thats it for our decorations. We keep presents fairly simple, for me it's about family more than anything.

    are you working over Christmas or do you have some time off?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @jpKittie - isn't it funny how its such a stress for everyone yet we continue to do it. Good for you on stopping some of the madness

    @spendwisemom - a family vacation sounds wonderful. And what a great idea to have your kids do something nice and tell you about it. I heard a great story on the radio this morning that I think I will post about after about a similar thing.

    @Judy - sounds wonderful. And so right on the preying, for everyday possible occasion now-a-days.

    @Carla - Thanks. And very wise words.

    @Tanner - my lack of decorations isn't about not conforming more just because of being sad and not wanting to "celebrate" but you are right. I want to figure out how I can enjoy it again and it no be a burden (so to say)

    @B-Kat - I love Christmas Eve service... just wish I had family/friends to go with. I will go anyway though. I find it hard to make it special to me being alone but I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Kim - I hope you can find a way to make it less about expectations

    @Cassie - Thank you so much. I will give them all extra snuggles which they will enjoy.

    @Taylor - travel expenses to see family is so worth it for sure!

    @Louise - It's about family to me as well. It's just hard that I really do get to see family much anymore. I am working over Christmas but off after that for a week. I will go see my brother and his family since they are only about 1 1/2hrs away. The rest are all far away. Thankfully the phone makes them closer.

    Hugs to everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.