This is told from the view point of a bystander
I was in the store picking up a Christmas gift when I spotted a young girl picking out a doll. She picked up one doll and asked her dad, "Dad, do I have enough money to buy this doll?" "Yes", her dad replied. She placed the doll back on the shelf and picked up another doll. She asked her dad the same question, "Dad, do I have enough money to buy this one?". Again, her dad replied, "Yes, dear, you do." She again placed the doll back on the shelf. She continued this for a few dolls. She really had my attention as I was curious why she kept putting each doll back.
In the same aisle, a little boy and his dad were looking at video games. The little boy found the exact game he want. "Dad, do I have enough for this?" "No, son, you don't". He picked up a few more games and to each the response from his dad was no. He instead found a sticker book that he could afford.
The young girl, meanwhile, had found a beautiful doll. A doll that every girl would love to have. She asked her dad, "Do I have enough for this one?". Again the response was yes. Again she placed the doll back on the shelf. She turned around to the video games and pick up the one that was on top, "Do I have enough for this" she asked again looking up at her dad. "Yes, sweetheart". "Ok, I want to buy this", she said excitedly.
She went to the cash and I was in line behind her. The little boy came up behind us. She paid for her purchase, handed it to the cashier and whispered something in her ear. Then she walked away. I paid for my items and took my time leaving. The little boy placed his sticker book on the counter and the cashier rang it in. "Oh, you've won", she exclaimed to the little boy and handed him the game. "Oh dad, this is exactly the one I wanted!".
The dad and young girl had stayed in the doorway. "Why did you want to do that?" the dad asked his daughter. "Well, grandma and grandpa told me to buy something that would make me happy and this made me very happy."
This story really touched my heart because of the kindness and pureness of the simple act. Little did I know that later today I would be touched by a kind and pure gift myself.
I was in line at the drive through at Tim Horton's and when my turn came to pay the lady told me that the car behind me wanted to pay for my drink. I was surprised. The car behind me? Do I know who that is? It turned out it was a friend of mine that I don't see often. Nice blessing but not the one I was referring to above. I tell you this one just to show you how God works on our hearts through out the day.
This afternoon I received an email from Kiva. I have heard of Kiva from other bloggers and have been wanting to get involved but had not taken any active steps to do so. Kiva is a great organization that gives loans to people who are low-income or who don't have access to typical banking systems so they can start or maintain business to better their lives and the lives of their family. For example one lady I looked at earned $2.00 a day to care for herself and family. She wanted a loan so she could rent farmland to help supplement her income and get education for her children.
So why did I get this email? Carla at My 1/2 Dozen Daily gave me a Kiva Card! This Kiva card allows me to be able to make a loan to someone in need!!! What an awesome gift! This is a gift that blesses the giver, the recipient and someone else (and potentially more people!) How perfect is this?! And exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't expect to be the one receiving it.
If you know Carla you already know how generous she is. If you don't know Carla, she is amazing and can make a budget go further than should be possible. I think a big part of that reason is because she always adds giving in there. She is a huge inspiration to me to be a better person in many areas of my life. I can't believe what she does for her family of 6 on one income (with some extra earnings) and how generous she is. **I just noticed I was part of Carla's Operation Give Back. I'm so honoured!
Thank you Carla for reminding me the true spirit of Christmas and teaching me about being generous. I will be passing on a Kiva card to someone who will love it because it's a great gift.
Pass along the kindness...
Loved the story of the little girl! Just warms your heart doesn't it?! :) The video was awesome! Such a great reminder of how a small act of kindness will repeat themselves over & over again! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's so much for your sweet words... *blush* I knew you'd love your KIVA gift! :) Have fun passing it on! ;)
I love this story! It's so wonderful. And I've been wanting to start getting into Kiva.
ReplyDeleteThis brought tears to my eyes. This is what Christmas is all about.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post. Time to check out Kiva
ReplyDeleteYep, definitely time to check out Kiva. And I loved the story..... and the generous heart of Carla.
ReplyDeleteoh thats a lovely story! Kiva does a lot of good work, and what I like is that the donation just keeps on giving as once it's repaid you can loan it to someone else.
ReplyDeleteso so very sweet
ReplyDeleteWow.... this was so deeply moving. This is the true meaning of Christmas.
ReplyDeleteOkay great now my make-up is a mess. Thank you. My Christmas spirit was getting dry, now it is all sogged up again!
ReplyDelete