One of the wonderful things about being debt free will be the freedom to be able to give financial gifts. I know there are many forms of giving and I enjoy giving in different ways. I have just never had the freedom to give as I sometimes wanted too. I have always had the looming cloud of credit card debt and various other debt that required my extra funds. I get very excited when I think about being able to just hand someone X amount and not even think twice about it.
I have some people in my life right now who could really use some financial gifts (not because they got themselves in a big mess, just due to some big life changes, partially very exciting and partially very scary). I really wish I could just drop a big pile of cash in their bank account but I can't. But I can help in a smaller way. They are selling items because they are moving and because they need the money. I have inquired about purchasing one of the items that they have for sale. I plan on purchasing the item and giving a financial gift. If the item isn't for sale still I will just up the amount of my gift. I really feel I need to do this. And yes I do mean "need".
I certainly don't "need" the item I inquired about, in fact, I wonder if I will even use it. If not, I will be giving it as a gift to my mom, who will certainly use it. The hard part about that is that she lives in Nova Scotia and shipping would cost an arm and a leg! Either way, I feel a very deep need to help these people out. And for the most part, I like feeling like that. I like that I have the compassion inside of me that draws me to feel like that. The only part of me that doesn't like it is the part that is driven to get out of debt as quickly as I can. But sometimes that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter when there is someone more important than making an extra payment on my student loan. It doesn't matter when it involves compassion to another human being. I want to help in my small way and I am going to.
Do you ever feel like you need to help or give? Will you or do you give more being debt free? Care to discuss giving more?
I have and will help my sister out when she struggles. She is finally on a good path and I want her to succeed. We give to church and have given money, clothes and food to friends who are struggling. If it came down to helping someone who really needed it or paying extra on something I would give it to them in a heartbeat.
ReplyDeleteBut I don't loan people money. I give it to them and if it comes back if not then no hard feelings. Since money can cause problems so many problems sometimes. My family(extended) has chipped in to help each other out at different time.
But I do hope that when we are debt free I am able to give more to others to help them.
This is a great post
Judy
I have helped my family in the past when they've needed it. We also give to church and various other charities. What I like best is at Christmas, we like to buy toys for the children to put under the tree at church, that is a big deal for us. Good post.
ReplyDeleteI don't mind helping people but sometimes it is tough. I always want to help but I wonder about so many other things. I almost always end up helping out where ever I can.
ReplyDeleteI also believe in karma. I don't do good things for good karma but I don't do bad things to keep away the negative vibes.
For people like you with a big heart. Great things will come to you and an un-matched happiness you will never find elsewhere.
I've never thought about it before, but I've given a few fairly large financial gifts to friends in need. Once, when I was in undergrad, I gave some $ to a friend who couldn't pay his rent. He promised he'd pay it back. It took him a few years, and I never asked for any of it, but he kept track, and it all came back to me. I have had a few friends who have come up on hard times, and, like Judy said, money can cause hard feelings in relationships, so I never expect it back. But I feel SO much better helping a friend be able to buy groceries than I would if I knew the need was there, and chose to ignore it.
ReplyDeleteI don't give to a church (I used to work as a church musician), but Dh and I have a few charities that we regularly donate to. It feels like part of a meaningful life to us.
I feel very strongly about giving... We are on a very tight budget but still have a sponsor child, donate to the Canadan Cancer Society monthly. & will help others in need out as often as I can. Giving of yourself is what life is all about, whether it's your time, belongings, or money.
ReplyDeleteYou said one word in your blog which is my favorite word in the entire english language. COMPASSION.
ReplyDeleteThis one word can literally change the world. I truly believe if we all opened up our hearts and showed compassion this world would be a different place.
I love to give there is nothing like it. Especially when the receiver does not know who it came from. :)
Carla could not have send it any better Giving of yourself is what life is about :)