Monday, March 21, 2011

Can you offer your advise or opinion, please?

Ok I need some advise.  My current plan is to pay off the remaining balance on one of my student loans ($645) and save up an emergency fund.  I think this is a good idea but the impatient side of me wants to just pay off the other student loan right away since it will only take 2 more months (end of June).  So should I stop paying extra on any debt and save up an emergency fund?  I would like to have $1000 - $2000 saved.  Or should I continue on with the debt?  And is it wise to tackle the other student loan or the credit card first?  I think it just bothers me that I owe so much on that silly CC and I want it gone.  But I want it all gone anyway!

A reminder of my debts: Student Loan $645, Student loan $1180, CC $3750 and one other loan that I am not too concerned about at the moment.  Those 3 debts are my main concern and having an emergency fund. Once the $645 student loan is gone I will have right around $500 a month extra to either save or pay on debt. 

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Okay, this is not the conventional PF advice, but I paid aggressively on my debts and put $100/month in my savings until it added up to an E-fund. Luckily I didn't have any emergencies I couldn't absorb into my budget along the way. It's a risk, but it worked out for me. I would pay off the $645 loan just to have it done and then work on the credit cards, since I assume that interest rate is higher? Just my two cents...that's how I did it and things are going well for me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.