Yep, I found a house I really like and put in an offer...
Thanks for all your great advice and insight on my last post. I really appreciate it.
So I am one week home from the course I had to go away for as part of work. It was exhausting and my energy levels are just starting to resemble something slightly normal. And on top of that I added in weekend of house shopping/bidding. The bidding didn't go anything like I expected though. The sellers made a counter offer and at the same time disclosed that the home has vermiculite in the attic which contains asbestos. Their agent tried to comfort me by telling me that as long as it wasn't disturbed it was harmless. Ok, I completely understand this and I would have no reason to go into the attic. However, I am going to have to sell this house a few years down the road when I get posted and I don't need that hanging over my head. My counter asked them to remove it. Getting quotes took three full days only to have the sellers come back to me and tell me that if they had it removed (to the tune of $10K) they were only will to move slightly on their asking price. I didn't feel the house was worth what they were asking so I decided to pass. I feel this was the best decision for me and my situtation.
The process wasn't anywhere close to the exciting experience I was expecting. I was actually terrified and am kind of relieved that I didn't get it. All I could think was all the money it was going to cost and could I actually afford it and could I handle the responsibility. I might be just as happy saving up a big down payment before I put in another offer. There isn't anything else in the area I am looking that peaks my interest at the moment either.
In the meantime I plan on saving all the extra money in my account until I have enough to pay off my car. This way if I do come across a home I am interested in I will have some of the funds I need to get started and if not I will be paying off my car sometime around the end of October time frame. This started with a $700 deposit to my saving account tomorrow morning. :)
I think you are a wise choice! When the perfect house for you comes up, you'll know!! :)
ReplyDeleteHouse shopping and especially working with a seller can be really exhausting. But I would stay away from the house with asbestos. Good luck on your search. It's there, I promise!
ReplyDeleteGood for you...patience..what is meant to be will happen. Come visit me on facebook!
ReplyDeleteFrom someone who has bought and sold many homes, if is meant to be it will happen. You made the right choice. I am so jealous that you are paying off your car, I am deeper in debt than I was 3 months ago, but not on purpose.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you were able to back out on that house. You don't need a mess like that hanging over your head in the attic. The day will come when you find The House!! Congrats on the car loan
ReplyDeleteGood for you little lamb! A lot of people feel obligated to go through with the sale at that point, I'm glad you made the decision to step away. You'll find the right house for you one day :)
ReplyDeleteIf it was meant to be, it would have been. It only takes one house to make it happen. That's awesome that you are so close to being debt free.
ReplyDeletesounds like a good decision, theres always another house.
ReplyDelete(love the new blog background!)
I dealt with almost the exact situation when I was looking at houses - only instead of vermiculite in the attic, the place I looked at had asbestos siding (weird 'huh?). I ended up passing and finding a much better place a couple months later - I'm sure the same will happen for you!
ReplyDeleteMy Friend you made the RIGHT choice by walking away. My Grandfather died of cancer caused by asbestos poisoning on the ships he use to work on. Also the notion that if you leave it alone it won't be an issue is not entirety true. Breathing it in and having it in the air you breath in makes it just as toxic to you as rolling around in it!
ReplyDeleteI agree - thank goodness you didn't buy that house! But exciting news that you were looking!! And you have a new job! Lots of excitement around your neck of the woods - congrats LL!
ReplyDeleteWell, it sounds like you learned a lot from the situation. I think your homeowner's insurance may have gone up as well if you kept it. Your gut is usually right. We have asbestos siding on our house and it would cost a fortune to remove but what do you do!? Ah! Old houses. It leads me to want to build my own.
ReplyDelete