Friday, August 10, 2012

Something Big and Exciting.... Maybe

Hey Friends!

Thanks so much for all the love on my last post!  I have been wanting to get on here and get another post out so much sooner but life seems like its flying by and it's not slowing down.

Since my last post I've been working and training for the marathon and that's pretty much my life at the moment.  I'm enjoying the training and am noticing a difference in my performance.  It's nice to see the hard work paying off.  Now to just drop some lbs! 

My new job is so busy and I have lots to learn.  Some days are stressful but once I catch on it won't be quite as bad (I hope) :)  I am going on course for a little bit and won't have access to the computer.

Ok so my big and exciting news is that I am going to start looking at houses.  I went in today for a meeting with the mortgage specialist and although I am not officially pre-approved he said he doesn't think it should be an issue.  Just in case, I am not getting my hopes up too high until I hear back. 

I wonder if Sandra will come help me?!
This is such a huge step that I just never really thought would ever happen for me in the foreseeable future.  I am looking to keep my payments around the same amount that I pay for rent but am ok with pushing it by an extra $100 a month or so.  There doesn't seem to be much out there in my price range but I'm not in a rush so I'll take my time and see what comes up.  

Any advice???  :)  Do you think I'm making a wise or silly decision?

7 comments:

  1. When we realized that our rent is going to be about the same as mortgage, we went for buying. And never regretted it! You do need to keep in mind that all the repairs will be your responsibility, so a little savings cushion for it will not hurt. But I'm excited for you!!! It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think home ownership is very satisfying, but i have to agree with Lena. You will be responsible for all repairs, taxes, water, sewer, garbage. Many things that a landlord now takes care of, so have a nice little cushion for those things. Like around $5000.00. But I am excited for you! Good luck on the marathon. That was always on my bucket list but alas it is not to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say the same thing. While the mortgage (and insurance and taxes!) might be close to what you are paying now, you are now responsible for EVERYTHING.

      Don't forget about equipment you might need....lawn mower, hedge trimmers, etc.

      Also, don't forget about decorating. New home...you are going to want to paint, change things. Don't forget to save a few bucks toward that.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. That's so awesome!! :) I think it's good that you're not in a rush, that way you have time to be "picky" and find the perfect house for you!! Keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a great decision! One suggestion would be to start a sinking fund for house maintenance/repairs right at the start. Theres often things that will need doing and if you budget it on from the start you'll be prepared.
    It's very exciting and I'm glad the new job is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Can't wait to hear about your adventures in house-hunting. I recommend mocking up some budgets with what you estimate owning a house will cost on a monthly basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you've got a lot of exciting things going on. The marathon training is excellent. I love running, too, and feel it's insurance for my health. I haven't been sick in years. And, it leads to lower levels of stress and with all you have going on, you might need it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.